Wednesday, July 18, 2012

What to Keep, What to Let Go

The UNCC Writing Project's Summer Institute comes to an end on Friday and I already am missing the daily conversations and the excitement as we make connections, scribble notes in our daybooks, and think--collectively and alone.  This always is the time of year when I realize how important it is to be "in the conversation."  Even if it's just sitting in the same room with others who are thinking and working, there is some kind of connection that takes place.

I never would be writing in this space if I had not attended the summer institute.  To say what I think is difficult for me probably because for so many years I have opened my mouth and inserted my foot.  I have had to learn the hard way that silence sometimes is golden and to remember Abraham Lincoln's advice to write a letter, put it aside and read it the next day before deciding whether to mail it.  Now here I am putting my thoughts right out here, hitting publish when I finish and not thinking that I might ought to wait a day before saying what I'm thinking.

For a couple of days we have, off and on, talked about hoarding and holding onto things we should let go.  They always turn to me since for three years I've been working on a self-discovery video about my own hoarding of books and other things that I don't need but am afraid to let go.  I pulled out the dusty storyboards again and vowed to finish that video before school starts this fall.  The unfinished video cluttering my computer's storage space is another example of my not finishing what I start and I've been pondering that trait as well.  I am packing up things to sell or give away and I am tying up loose ends with things in my house--organizing, sorting, pitching.

So today I invited the group to think about what to let go and what to keep as we begin another school year.  Here's what I have decided to let go and what to keep and I hope somewhere in this listing is a key to my holding onto stuff way long after it should have been recycled or loved by someone else.

Here's what I'm letting go:
The fear that I'm not good enough.
The fear that if I can't do it the first time people will think I'm stupid
The idea that everybody knows more technology than I do
All my insecurities
(and clothes that I'll never wear even if the price tag is still attached)

Here's what I'm keeping:
The technology I'm using in my classroom and some new that I'm adding
Ideas for papers I want to write--particularly one on complex texts and one on women (rights, discriminations, bodies, and so on)
My work and my writing and my determination to write every day and to write with purpose and conviction
My friends

I have let go so much and every time I let something else go I feel a great weight lifted from my head.  I love the energy that comes from a clean empty space.

6 comments:

  1. I think most writers feel that way, that we are not good enough, that we are posers in the writing world. I think that feeling of insecurity is what helps us grow as writers because we are always trying to get better. I loved hearing your college story. You're a wonderful story teller. I think you should write it down if u haven't. Have you read anything by Anne Lamott? Great writer/story teller. Her books are collections of cool stories about her life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Letting go is hard. After the tragedy of losing my husband six years ago, I find myself of two minds. There are times when I feel that I have already been forced to let go enough, so I want to hoard eveything that is still a part of my life. However, I have also learned that in order to move on there are times and things that you you must be willing to let go. When I really think about what I can and should let go, the first thing that comes to mind is my belief that I always have to be in control. It's okay to not have all of the answers. It's okay to let others take the lead. This school year, I am going to make a concerted effort to let go of my need for complete control.
    I also liked your list of things that you are going to try to keep. As I was reading this, it was almost as if I was looking in a mirror. Thd one thing I would add is thatn I need to keep the connections I have made in SI. Being a part of SI has reminded me that I am not an island and that I could always use a little help from my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your idea of keeping and letting go. I find it hard to let go of some of my insecurities in my own writing. I am often afraid those who hear or read it will think it is a poor attempt at writing. How do you judge your own writing? How do you know if it is good enough? Will I be embarrassed if I share it and people hate it? I guess the cliche is correct when it says, "someone's junk is another person's treasure."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so interested in the idea of hoarding. I watch those shows on TV and feel a little guilty doing it. I am really curious about the video you're making...how did you decide to do that...is it for you or a wider audience?

    I have appreciated your honesty and blunt talk throughout SI. You say what I think, and I like hearing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These words speak to me - Hoarding, purging. Life has taught me to never hold on to anything too tight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so happy to read your blog, Sal!! This is beautiful, encouraging and just puts me there with you inside your reflection. thank you.

    ReplyDelete