Tuesday, July 9, 2013

The Six Word Memoir

The six-word memoir.  There it is. Staring me in the face. Six words--pick six words from the 650,000 or so in the English language.  String them together in a self-identification way.  Whatcha got?  The words fly up and down in my brain like popcorn kernels.  Pick six. Any six.  Who am I today?  What am I thinking?  What describes me?

Why do I have such a hard time picking six words?  It's not the end of the world.  It's not even close.  Six words.  Pick six words.  Is it that I don't want to exclude all the others by picking this particular group?  Is it that once I pick six I don't have another chance?  It's like that quote I kept on my computer at the newspaper for years that went something like this: "Once you write the first paragraph you realize the rest is not going to be the great work you imagined."  Like the Grimm brothers' Clever Elsie who never got anything done because she spent all her time working through the what-ifs, I hesitate to write (or pick my six words) so that I will not have yet messed up the story.  I hem and haw.  I write two words and mark them out.  Not good enough.  What will folks think?  What do they expect from me?  I have to have the best six words--astounding in their truth and beauty.  Shining emblems of the use of the language.  Smart thinking.  Smart talking.

So, what will they be?  Which six words will I choose?  Today I don't have to write each word on an index card and video tape it, upload the video to Youtube so everybody knows I didn't pick the best words.  Today--today I only have to write them.  I need to pick the six words.  What are they?

Suddenly I have it.  Exactly six words.  Exact description of me--of my mirrored self today.  The perfect six words.  Ah! Got my crap together then lost it.  A mantra.

4 comments:

  1. Sally your wit (as in humor AND intelligence) in your writing inspires me! You craft your ideas so well, over something as simple as writing our six word memoir. It makes me want to know more about you, all the time. That's how I feel every time our Writing Group meets, I want more on everything about YO! It's thrilling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Sally! You nailed it:

    "I have to have the best six words--astounding in their truth and beauty. Shining emblems of the use of the language. Smart thinking. Smart talking."

    But words, they are forgiving. If you leave some out, if some feel neglected, they'll be back again and again for more. More abuse, more neglect, more use, and they will cleverly weave your way.

    You have your crap together because you know people who say they have their crap together are full of crap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the story--getting crap together and then losing it. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your memoir!!! And I felt the same stress that you did when I was trying to figure out my 6 words. Too hard!! As you say, there are too many words. And i am too many Tonyas to do that!!!!

    ReplyDelete